small is BIG
One of the shortcomings I felt growing as a teenager was that there was so less of “Financial Literacy’ in our curriculum. Even to date a lot of us are horrible planners and managers of our finances(Includes your truly – On course to change). Even though some of us manage large teams ,big clients and big businesses.
Then why does managing personal finances becomes so challenging – I don’t have a clear answer but perhaps having never learned it formally and sometimes not guided by parents ( out of love of course) we tend to mess up this space. (Most of the times we are plain lazy)
So how we get around it ? – START SMALL
Do the small things right, as small changes have big impact. It could be as rudimentary as
- Planning to buy your household purchases on first day of credit card cycle to enjoy maximum credit period
- Setting Bill reminders (like birthday reminders) on your phones and pads to never miss a bill’s due date
- Pre booking flights to avoid last minute “hawk” charges by Airlines
- Checking at retail counter every time you buy if there X% discount on a particular card
- Not forgetting to take your loyalty card before you shop
- Starting a small SIP ( Systematic Investment plan) early in your life to accumulate wealth
- Earning miles when you fly – Even on official trips 😀
Above all seem obvious (Common sense) but how many of us actually do it. Can we start making small changes – Oh !! yes we can.
My endeavor is write two columns every month ( Starting small 😀 ) on how we can do a lot of small things in better way that makes a big impact.
Post ideas in comment section – We can expand them in later posts
Read of the Fortnight
Amazing Entrepreneurial Stories